Tuesday, January 3, 2023

SHORT TAKE: STORYTELLING IS ALCHEMY

I don't usually publish twice in one day, but when I was writing the last post I had this thought that wasn't really relevant, and may or may not have a lot to do with the fact that I'm reading Seasonal Fears by Seanan McGuire right now, but I wanted to share: 

Storytelling is an act of alchemy. A great storyteller takes a character of one substance and transforms them into something else. In WHITE LOTUS season two Mike White transforms lumps of INSERT NOXIOUS SUBSTANCE here into precious jewels. 

And the secret ingredient to storytelling alchemy, the philosopher's stone that allows that transformation to occur in a way that feels earned? Suffering. 

(Is my choice of photo meant to suggest Ethan is going to transform through suffering, too? I mean, I hope so? But I'm not holding my breath...)